Having an air conditioner is a modern luxury that most homeowners in Southern California come to expect and depend on. The summer months can be pretty warm, which is why having home cooling is so essential to keeping your space comfortable and welcoming. You can only get so much relief from a room fan and keeping the windows open at night, after all!
That is why keeping your air conditioning system working efficiently is so important. Most likely, your AC had a great break the last few months between the chillier winter and moderate spring weather. Now, before the hotter weather kicks in, is time to start caring for your cooling unit. If it doesn’t need major repairs or upgrades, a simple seasonal tune-up can be the perfect solution to ensure efficient performance during the summer.
What Is an AC Tune-Up & Do I Really Need One?
An AC tune-up can be thought of as a general doctor’s appointment for your air conditioner. Sure, you may not notice any major health issues or have any concerns upfront, but at least once a year, it is a good idea to go see your doctor. Why? There may be some unseen symptoms or preventative measures you could take to boost your health!
The same thing goes for your HVAC system. Why wait until a problem arises before getting your AC inspected? Instead, you can stay ahead of any costly issues by getting more affordable tune-ups throughout the years.
Here are just a few things a technician will typically tackle during an air conditioner tune-up:
- Clean off any debris or dust from evaporator and condenser coils
- Inspect and adjust thermostat controls as necessary
- Check for smooth operation from the condenser fan motor
- Test all electrical connections
- Handle any valve leakage
- Lubricate moving parts and other areas
- Review condensate drain
- Replace or adjust refrigerant levels
- Determine if the air filter must be replaced
Again, there are many more elements that will go into an average tune-up and can depend on the specifications and location of your AC unit.
Benefits of Scheduling an Air Conditioner Tune-Up
So now that you know what your system will get during an AC tune-up, you may be wondering what your unit will get out of it. What are the benefits of scheduling a seasonal tune-up for your unit?
Some of the most common include:
- Improved efficiency from your unit, which means lower cooling costs
- Longer lifespan for your system
- Preventative tune-ups can help avoid more expensive repairs or even replacements
- Avoid untimely breakdowns (like during the middle of a heatwave)
- Keeps the air flowing through your home clean
- Ensures you enjoy optimal comfort during warmer months
- The experts (like the EPA and U.S. Department of Energy) recommend it
Do you have to schedule every spring before summer? Sure, your unit won’t necessarily break down or run into major problems just because you skipped a tune-up; however, it is important to know how helpful maintenance can be like we touched on above. If you don’t get a yearly tune-up at the minimum, you could be looking at a 5% loss in performance year to year.
Whether you want to make sure your AC system is running great year-round or just want to prepare for the next heatwave in Menifee, We Care Plumbing, Heating, & Air is ready to jump into action on your behalf.
Check off another item from your spring cleaning list by scheduling an AC tune-up today! Learn more about AC tune-ups in Menifee.