Common problems/red flags for your Air Conditioning Unit in Rancho Cucamonga
With proper maintenance, an air conditioner should last about 20 years on average. As a system age, you may see small issues that you should handle before it becomes a bigger and more expensive problem. Call for AC repair in Rancho Cucamonga if you notice any of these problems.
Here is a list of common problems that many HVAC customers experience and some experienced advice on how to handle them from one of the most trusted air conditioning companies in Rancho Cucamonga.
- Have you noticed that the cost of running your air conditioner has increased, but there has not been a change in your usage routine? Sure energy costs have gone up in California, but a rising bill can also signal you that your air conditioner could use some maintenance.
The first step is to check your air filter if you have not done so in the last few months. A dirty filter can make your HVAC work harder, which increases your bill. Also, if your AC is an older unit, it may be time to replace it with a more energy-efficient system. A new system is a good investment in your home, and it will lower your monthly bill by 20-40% depending on your usage and the new unit you install.
- Does the air flowing through your vents feel warmer than it should? This can be a sign of a clogged line, damaged ducting, or leaking refrigerant. A service call can verify this, and it is usually a simple fix. A qualified technician can flush the line to clear any clogs, check your ducting, and check for any leaks to get your cool air flowing again.
- If you notice moisture or humidity issues within your home, it could mean your air conditioner is too big for your space. That may seem counterintuitive, but a system that is too large cycles on and off more frequently than a smaller system.
Additionally, a dirty system can increase humidity in your home. Make sure you schedule your yearly maintenance with a qualified air conditioning company in Rancho Cucamonga.
- When you run your air conditioner, do you hear new noises that were not there before? Any squeaking, rattling, grinding or scraping noises? Any new or unusual sounds should be checked out immediately to prevent severe damage or failing of your system. Rattling sounds usually indicate loose parts while squeaking or shrieking can indicate a worn belt.
If you notice a scraping metal against metal noise, it can indicate loose parts in the blower system. While most of these noises mean a simple repair, do not wait too long as ignoring them can create a total system failure. Schedule an appointment to have an air conditioning repair in Rancho Cucamonga to come to check it out for you.
- Does the air in your home no longer smell as fresh as it used to? Do you notice odd smells while you’re a/c is running? Unusual odors such as a musty, chemical, or burnt smell are something that should be addressed quickly to avoid illness to you and your family.
Musty air can be as simple as a dirty filter or ducting, while a chemical odor such as sulfur or rotten egg smells can indicate a gas leak. A burning smell can report a more serious problem, such as a failing system. Sometimes your repair company can offer to retrofit to repair an existing HVAC, or it could mean you need to replace the whole system.
- One of the more common problems we hear from our customers with older systems is that they experience hot and cold spots within their homes. This problem is usually easily fixed. It generally indicates an airflow issue, a dirty filter, a pressure imbalance, or obstruction somewhere in your system.
- Airflow is probably one of the top problems with air conditioning complaints. Some of the more common issues that affect your air conditioner’s performance are:
- Dirty, clogged, or crushed ducts
- Sluggish and filthy fan
- Dirty coils
- Low refrigerant levels or leaking refrigerant
- Oversized a/c for your home
Many different problems can affect airflow in your home, so calling a qualified technician is a good idea. They can do an inspection of your air conditioning unit and find and fix the problem for you.
- Are you or others in your home experiencing frequent illness at home? Is anyone experiencing constant dizziness, headaches, fatigue, nausea, or sinus issues? This can be a sign of dust and allergen buildup in your filter and ducting. Take a look at your filter or change it if it has been more than a few months. Call an experienced company to evaluate your ducting if a dirty filter isn’t the issue. Dirt, dust mite debris, allergens, and even insect and animal nests can occur in your ducting, so keeping them bright and clean can mean better air quality for you and your family.
- Puddles of fluid around your system or damage to drywall or other materials around your HVAC unit can mean you have a clogged condensate drain line or even a leaking refrigerant line in your air conditioning. Call right away to have it evaluated since the longer water or refrigerant accumulates, the more damage to your home and a/c unit can occur which can become quite costly very quickly.
- How old is your thermostat? Have you checked the battery recently? Believe or not, an old thermostat can affect how well you’re a/c works! If your model uses a battery, make sure it isn’t low. Consider replacing the whole thermostat if it is an older one, and put in a smart thermostat. They can help you manage your system from anywhere, and they monitor your usage to help you run your system as efficiently as possible.
If you are experiencing any of these common problems, we are here to help! Give us a call for any air conditioning service in Rancho Cucamonga, and we will send out a qualified technician to help you!